Check out a Laptop
A limited number of laptop computers are available for loan to currently enrolled UCM students. Students must provide valid UCM ID or proof of enrollment; no deposit is required. Loan period is three days, withone renewal allowed based on availability.
Laptops are available at the Harmon Computer Commons, East Desk, 1st floor, phone 660-543-4196.
Student Laptop Loan Procedures
Student Computer Loan Procedures
(revised February 23, 2012)
The James C. Kirkpatrick Library provides a Student Computer Loan service to currently enrolled students at the University of Central Missouri. This service is partially funded by student technology fees.
- Limited numbers of computers are available to currently enrolled students on a first-come first-served basis. Full time employees of the University of Central Missouri must show proof of current enrollment in order to borrow a computer.
- Computers will be loaned for a three day period at the Circulation/Reserves desk.
- Computers can be renewed one time for an additional three days if the unit is not reserved. Renewal requests must be made in person or via phone by personally speaking with a circulation desk full time staff or graduate assistant at least one hour prior to the library's closing on the due date set forth in the contract agreement.
- In order to avoid a late fee, the borrower must allow ample time to return the equipment (due one hour before closing) should the renewal request be denied.
- Borrowers must understand that it will take at least ten to fifteen minutes to complete the check-in/check-out process. Borrowers must remain until the transaction is completed.
- A new contract must be completed for the initial computer check-out but not for renewals.
- An individual user may check out only one computer at a time.
- Available equipment can be booked in advance through the Circulation/Reserves Desk.
- Students are allowed a maximum of four bookings in succession, for example, a student cannot book a computer once a week for sixteen weeks but may book once a week for four weeks or other similar patterns. In order to assure equal access to all students wanting computers, there must be a minimum of one day between all bookings per patron. Equipment that is not picked up on the first day of the booking will be released for others to use the second day of the booking period.
- Equipment, including all peripherals and accessories, must be returned in the same operating condition as borrowed. A minimum charge of $75 for the repair and/or replacement of equipment shall be assessed to student accounts, according to established property guidelines. Replacement costs of accessories shall follow the guidelines maintained at the Circulation/Reserve Desk.
- A computer must be returned or renewed prior to one hour before library closing on the day it is due in order to allow staff adequate time to prepare it for the next use.
- A late fee of $75 a day will be charged if the unit is not returned by the agreed upon return date and time. If the laptop is returned less than one hour prior to closing, it is considered late and a $75 fine will be charged. The billing charge for unreturned laptops is up to $2000 dependent on the laptop model.
- Computers will not be loaned between semesters, due to maintenance and inventory requirements.
- Students take full responsibility for the compatibility of any software they may load, and the library limits technical support to ensuring the prepared system on the computer is operational.
- Files saved or software downloaded to the computer are deleted upon return.
- Borrowers needing assistance with modem and/or internet settings should work with their individual internet service providers.
- The Library does not guarantee the compatibility of loaned computers with data projectors or other peripherals.
Recommended by Library Services Council May 2, 2005. Revised Feb. 5, 2007, revised Feb. 7, 2011.
Revision Approved by the Dean of Library Services Feb. 23, 2012.